Today your Facebook feed will be filled with inspirational quotes from a man who changed how we looked at each other during one of the most difficult times in our country’s history. Through peaceful protests and preaching love not hate, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. challenged us all to look past the color of our skin to see the person inside our skin.
Many of us can recite his famous I Have A Dream speech and some of us can even remember the exact place we were when he was killed. No matter what you know or remember about MLK, you can’t deny his impact on our world.
To remember how impactful his message was, here are ten quotes credited to MLK.
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
- “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?”
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
- “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
- “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
- “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
Thank you Dr. King, you truly inspire us.